One of the biggest challenges entrepreneurs face when setting up their own business or even as they grow their business is that they try to sell to every body and they assume everyone is a potential customer.
I see a lot of entrepreneus describe their target customer as
Geez that is like describing a quarter of the population .
What is important in
Without getting clarity in that one customer your products is for , you will struggle to attract the right customers or evn attract any customers at all because your marketing message will be diluted and generic. Your message will not resonate with them .
There are benefites to takiing the time to define the profile of your ideal customer one of which is your limited budget and attempting to reach the whole world all at once is a recipe for disaster so it is wiser and more profitable to define your ideal customer , target that as aggressively as possible to begin.
Should I create a customer Avatar?
- You should create a customer Avatar if you want to increase your conversion rates
- Attract More of your best customers
- Create adverts that work
Why should I create an Avatar?
- It helps to hone your marketing message so it appeals to a specific individual or group
- Increase your lead conversion rates
- Attract more of the right customer
What is a customer Avatar and How do I create a customer Avatar?
A customer avatar is a detailed fictitious representation of your ideal customer.
How to Create a customer Avatar
- Download the Customer Avatar Template to capture all your identified information
- Describe Your Customers: Understand who your ideal customer is and what similarities they have. Define your customers with the following criteria:
- Background: Jobs, Education etc
- Demographics– their age, gender, income, etc.
- Psychographics – their personality type, preferences, etc.
- Interests – their similar likes and dislikes, sports, hobbies, etc.
- Locate Your Customers: Define your customer interests and where they are attracted to, whether a physical location or a cyber space where they gather.
- Where do they hang out?
- What do they read? Both online and offline?
- What do they search for online?
- Understand their Goals and Values and Objections
Document your customer needs , Challenges , what drives the need for your products or services, what their goals are and what benefits it will be to them in using your products or service
- Where do they begin their research?
- What is their challenge, Pain points or need?
- What are the benefits to them in finding a solution?
- Connect with Current Customers: Reach out to your current ideal customers to gain additional insight into what made them select your business over others. Conduct interviews, formally or informally, and gather information such as:
- How they came across your company
- Why they chose your company above all other competitors
- Why they are repeat customers with your company
- What you do different that others don’t?
- Build your Customer Avatar: Develop profiles that describe specific segments of your current customers, and ensure that these profiles are close to reality as possible so that you can truly understand this group of customers.
- Describe your client profiles
- Create a specific avatar for each identifiable client group and name them
- Include representative images of ideal clients
Once you have completed these six simple steps you will have a clear picture of the type of customers your business should target. you will find that every time you create a new product or service, write any content about your product and having your ideal customer in mind you marketing message will be more focused and consistent, you’ll be able to better reach the new customers you need to take your business to the next level. You will also be able to develop and understand the journey that your customer goes through end to end
- An avatar is a fictitious character that represents your ideal customer
- You may have multiple avatar profiles
- Be specific about your avatar’s story
- Use this profile to think of your marketing channels